What is a Bland Diet?
If you have ulcers, bowel problems, nausea, vomiting, or gas, your doctor may recommend a "bland diet." A bland diet may also be helpful if you have had stomach or intestinal surgery.
A bland diet consists of
- Vegetables, cooked without any sauces or spices. Vegetables that cause gas like broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower should be avoided.
- Chicken breast without skin.
- Most forms of cereal, e.g. bread, corn flakes. Avoid breads and rolls with nuts, seeds, or bran.
- Fruit taken in moderation. Avoid berries with seeds, such as strawberries, and citrus fruits, such as oranges.
- Fatty, fried and dairy foods should be avoided, as well as high-fiber foods.