|Home A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|Home H Hair Care Tips: 10 “Must-Dos” and 10 Absolute-Don'ts of Great Hair Care|
Hair Care Tips: 10 Must-Dos and
If the amount of money consumers spend on hair care products annually is any indication, most people are concerned about the appearance of their hair and strive to attain beautiful, healthy and stylish locks. In fact, most will go to any lengths to achieve their desired look. From professional salon treatments to over-the-counter serums, hair care is a big business.
The only problem is that while many people are buying the right hair care products for their hair, they forget to follow basic hair care regimens that will guarantee the health and beauty of their tresses. Additionally, many are also causing needless damage to their hair by participating in unhealthy hair care behavior.
So, what should you do to make sure your hair stays healthy, shiny and strong? Here are 10 essential must-dos of great hair care.
If your hair is damaged, dry or color-treated, use hair care products formulated to repair this damage and add much-needed shine and resiliency. On the other hand, if your hair is oily, use a deep-cleansing shampoo and light conditioner to keep your hair looking its best. The right products should be at the base of your hair care routine.
Get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks as part of your regular hair care routine. Even if you are growing your hair longer, it is still vital to make a routine trim a major part of your hair care routine. Snipping ends before they split will keep your hair looking healthy and save you hair care headaches in the end.
Protect your hair with hair care products that contain sunscreen.
Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to shampoo your hair daily. Doing so can make your hair dry and hard to work with.
Yes, kitchen beauticians and friends do not cost as much as putting your hair care needs in the hands of a qualified professional, but they often cause blunders that end up costing you more money than if you went to the salon in the first place.
There are many hair coloring systems on the market, and the ones you choose can have a great impact on your hair care costs. Simply put: choose a system that causes minimal damage and conditions hair as it colors. This will save you money when it comes to conditioning hair care products.
In order to keep your hair as healthy as it can be, ask your hair care professional to recommend only one chemical service: color or perm. By only using the service that is perfect for your particular style and needs, you will ensure that your hair stays healthier.
By adding texture to your style, through perm or cut, you can greatly reduce the time it takes to style and perform your daily hair care routine. And you will look sensational.
With all of the professional coloring techniques available, this part of your hair care regimen has never been easier. From chunky highlights to soft color, you can greatly enhance your style with the right technique.
Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb when it is wet to prevent breakage. The only time you should use a brush during your hair care routine is when your hair is barely damp or dry.
To avoid all hair care disasters, follow these 10 absolute-don'ts of great hair care.
1. Avoid unprofessional and over-the-counter hair care products whenever you can. Many of these only offer false hopes and promises.
2. Do not cut your own bangs. Leave all of your cutting needs, even bangs, to your hair care professional.
3. Avoid excessive sun, chlorine and salt water during the summer months. Excessive exposure can cause severe damage that is irreversible even if you use the best hair care products.
4. Do not use clarifying hair care products on your tresses more than one time per week. They can strip hair of moisture and essential oils.
5. Do not visit a hair care salon without first getting a referral from someone you can trust. Choosing a salon based on an advertisement or sale alone is very risky.
6. Do not purchase hair color that comes in a box.
7. Never stick with an outdated look because you are afraid of looking different. Styles change for a reason. Ask your hair care professional to bring you into this decade with a new style.
8. Do not straighten your hair with a clothes iron. C'mon, this was so over in the 70s. We have straightening irons now that won't damage your hair. Look in the hair care isle.
9. Don't brush your hair or put too much tension on it while it is still wet. This will cause breakage. Also, do not wear tight styles such as cornrows for extended periods of time unless you have ethnic hair.
10. Never use sun-lightening products such as lemon juice or over-the-counter hair care products designed to lighten hair with the sun unless you want a very short hair cut in the future.
In the end, hair care is a very individualized and personal thing. Feel free to add your own flair and style to your hair care routine, but remember to include hair care principles that will benefit your hair and avoid those that damage it.
About the Author:
Michael Barrows' website gives great advice for good hair. To get your free ebook packed with hair style and hair care tips and advice, visit www.great-hairstyles.com.
Glossary References Links Contact