What Is a Spider Naevus?
A small painless, bright red spot on the face, body and legs with thin red 'legs' (blood vessels) coming from it, making it look rather like a spider.
- They may last weeks, months or years.
Treatment in the home
When to consult the doctor
- The spot is a little-understood development from superficial blood vessels (capillaries).
- The spots may develop in pregnancy.
- They may occur as part of a general liver disorder.
What the doctor may do
- If the spots cause anxiety.
- Arrange for blood tests if a liver disorder is suspected.
- Spider naevuses do not cause disfigurement.
- They disappear after pregnancy.